Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Mick.Popka
      Participant

Whilst contemplating the structure of the east end of York Minster I noticed that there are around 50 plinths around the glass of the windows.

They are large enough to take statues, however all are empty!

Can anyone shed any light on the reason for their absence?

See: http://www.popka.co.uk/minster.jpg

bdeller
      Keymaster

All removed during the Reformation Henry VIII / Ed V! / Eliz I and during the Commonwealth Puritans / Cromwell. As prohibited by the Ten Commandments “no craven images” which is why there are none in Mosques and synagogues. Thought to be idolatry Heads and hands removed so couldn’t later identify and generally broken up.

Mick.Popka
      Participant

Thank you for that Keith.
      As you will be aware many Cathedrals in France have statues displayed on the exterior – Thankfully Henry VIII and his followers did not have their way there!

Ken.Briggs
      Participant

Didn’t the economic downturn in the 14th century mean that many plinths were never filled at all?

Jeff.Lane
      Participant

If you look at some of the empty plinths, there is evidence of some metalwork, probably lead, about half way up. This would suggest that something has been there, supported at the rear by the metalwork. In addition you will also find empty plinths with new stone or patchwork half way up where the metal support probably was before being removed. I always have taken this as evidence of statues or stonework of some description in situ in the past. Needs conformation by an expert of course.

Thanks to Mike for a great lecture last week.

Nick.Jones
      Participant

I’m late to the party here, but my understanding was that Thomas Fairfax forbade the slighting of statues or the destruction of glass in the Minster precinct during the parliamentary occupation in 1644, so any damage/removal would probably have been prior to this (or of course afterwards!). Hence the carvings remaining on St William’s college. There are remnants of ?animal statues in a couple of the niches, so possibly the statues just got weathered and were not replaced?

bdeller
      Keymaster

Nick – I believe the statues would have already been removed by the time of the English Civil War, probably during the reign of Edward VI. It was the stained glass in particular that Lord Fernando Fairfax saved. There are statues on the facades of other English medieval Cathedrals notably the West façade of Exeter Cathedral.

Nick.Jones
      Participant

Yes sorry, Fernando not his boy Thomas! Do you have a view on the survival of the St William’s carvings?

There is evidence of slighting in Ht Goodrumgate …

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.