Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Mick.Popka
      Participant

Can anyone tell me something about the ‘upside down tree’ in the fern area which is in the Museum Gardens by the gate into the Library area? Someone once told me it was Australian but I think they were teasing me.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Mick.Popka
      Participant

Hi Mike,
      Excellent question!

The Upside Down Tree always features in my presentation.

After explaining how the Yorkshire Philosophical Society rented the site and installed a Zoological garden (closed after various animals escaped) and herborial gardens including the fern garden.

I always make a point of asking the participants:

“So, what do you think that is then?”

The “upside down tree” was a Victorian popularity – “We all know what a tree looks like, above the ground, however under the ground they are all very similar, with capillary roots that absorb the water”.

I also point out that it was an industrious gardener who decided to trim the roots and tidy up what they thought was a “mess”.

On one of my walks, someone actually asked if it was anything to do with “Black Magic”, which I answered by mentioning that the only Black Magic in York was produced by Rowntrees!

BTW: Did you know that the Museum Gardens was planted with one example of every shrub and tree that is native to the UK?

I didn’t until I read it in a book about the gardens!

I have lots of other “Stuff” that may be of interest to you……and your presentation!

Regards
      Mick

Mike Young
      Participant

THE ‘UPSIDE-DOWN TREE’
      Around 20 Guides responded to my question about the ‘Upside-down tree’ in the Museum Gardens by the entrance gate through to the Multangular Tower. Many thanks for taking the time to advise me.
      Most people pointed out that it was a stumpie. This was a Victorian invention which used dead tree stumps as objects of interest in public or private gardens. Sometimes the stumps of dead trees would be sculpted into shapes such as people or animals or walls along garden walkways. In the mid nineteenth century great interest was developed in ferns and varieties were imported from all over the world. Garden designers began to grow plants, especially ferns, in or around them. The artificial structures encouraged wildlife such as insects, mosses and lichen.
      The first collection of stumpies, known as a stumpery, was opened in 1856 at Biddulph Grange in Staffordshire. The King has a large, modern collection of them at Highclere House in Gloucestershire.
      I also learnt that next to the stumpie is an extremely rare Wollemi pine tree from Australia. It was thought to be extinct and was known only in fossilised remains until it was re-discovered in1994. The Royal Horticultural Society website says there less than 100 such trees left in the world. One guide recalled the great excitement shown by two Australian naturalists on his tour when they saw it. (For further information see https://www.wollemipine.co.uk/ )
      Thanks once again to everyone who responded to my query.

Mike Young
      15th January 2023

Mick.Popka
      Participant

You can order one from here…..

https://www.wollemipine.co.uk/acatalog/Wollemi_Pine.html

Except, they’re out of stock!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.