Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Mick.Popka
      Participant

I led the 10:15 Tour on Friday 14th February 2020, my 3rd “Tour”.

It was a windy cold morning so I took the opportunity of gathering “customers” who appeared at the “A” Board, and invited them into the foyer of York Art Gallery where it was dry and warm.

At 10:15, rather than take the party of 7 outside to stand in the cold for the pre-walk briefing, I asked the Gallery reception desk if it would be possible for me to give the presentation in the room used by the “Artist in Residence”.

I also had a quick word with the Artist, who was “headphoned” and busy working away, to ask if was OK with her.

Both parties were in agreement and it proved to be a more comfortable location to deliver the presentation.

The room I used is approx 30′ x 30′ and is located to the left of the foyer, opposite the ticket desk, immediately to the left, when you enter the main doors.

The room could accommodate up to 20 people and is quiet.

As soon as presentation was finished I thanked both the Artist in Residence and the person on reception, both were positive in their responses.

Before we departed the Foyer I pointed out that Toilets were available and that if anyone wanted a coffee, the cafe provided a “take away” service.

The benefit of using this facility was that it enable the tour members to warm up from their journey to Exhibition Square and listen in a comfortable environment to the briefing.

I would not normally use the facility unless the weather dictated the use of a covered location.

As an alternative, the room at the back of the Kings Manor, which lead to the toilets would have sufficed if the Art gallery were unwilling to permit use of their room.

The cold temperatures and the wind chill resulted in 1 person leaving when we reached St William’s College.

Your feedback and suggestions are welcome.

John Gallery
      Keymaster

Mick, thank you very much for your post and a good idea on such a cold day. Important that we have the approval of the Gallery staff, so good call. best wishes, John, chairman

Judith.Webb
      Participant

Not so much a comment on starting the walk in inclement weather, but a comment on doing the walk in inclement weather. It started absolutely teeming down an hour and a half into the walk. Because of the need to stay out of enclosed places favourite rainy day boltholes ( e.g Holy Trinity, Margaret Clitherow) are no go these days. We took shelter at Gray’s Inn Court archway, but when we got round to Bedern there were already 4 or 5 people sheltering under the archway entrance. The group was getting soaked and shivering with cold (they didn’t have umbrellas). We decided to call it a day and they headed for a coffee shop to warm up and dry off. The fact that it was such a small group (4 friends in a bubble) made for easy decision making. Any other ideas for wet weather boltholes?

Mick.Popka
      Participant

Hi Judith,
      Thanks for the update on the “Post Covid” situation with inclement weather!
      Obviously my message of 2th February was in the “Pre-Covid” world!

Places that come to mind are:
      Under the new Ceramics extension at the back of the Art Gallery
      Under the portico of the Yorkshire Museum
      Inside “Explore” (Library) building
      Under Bootham Bar
      In the alleyway next to “The Hole in the Wall”
      Grays Court, as you mentioned,
      The archway by the National Trust Shop is available together with the alleyway beside the “Chinese Laundry” in Goodramgate.
      Also on Goodramgate are the 1960’s shops (Tesco), opposite Lady Row.
      On the Shambles there are several alleyways from Newgate market to the Shambles.
      Then the alleyway next to St Crux Church Hall.

The Visit York office sells pocket sized umbrellas, if you need them in a hurry!

Regards
      Mick

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.