Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Ken.Briggs
      Participant

In the event there were 10 (5 bubbles, so I suppose, technically, I was following the rules).
      The group were, as I’ve always found with tour groups, very pleasant and appreciative. I explained that if they had doubts about our grouping as we got into busier areas, then of course they could depart, or we could move in another direction, but they had no worries and neither did I as we covered the tour.

I started with a 360 degree presentation of York’s history as it appears from Exhibition Square, then King’s Manor. That meant that the gates beside the Art Gallery were open and we took in all the usual things in the Museum Gardens plus a mention of the Roman tombs as we approached the main gates.

Museum Street no problem upto Library Square (I had previously suggested keeping to the left with single file being the best option there). And of course the library stop allows the best view of St.Leonard’s Hospital chapel…..and our plaque.

I mentioned the upcoming pedestrian crossing in advance; no problem allowing the group to find their spaces as we waited, then over to Duncombe Place, quiet enough for me to point out the Gray’s Solicitors’ Offices in anticipation of going to Gray’s Court.

Then up Petergate to the bar, using the triangular stretch of pavement just through the bar on the Gillygate side, to view the front of Bootham Bar (11of us were able to socially distance in that space, but 9 would have been even better!)

Back via the Hole in the Wall to the Minster; readily able to walk through the queuing Minster visitors to get to the top of the West Front steps to admire the 1990’s frieze.

A detour into the gardens to see the remains of the Archibishop’s palace and the Minster library; then turning to the other side of the gardens to admire the Early English Gothic of the north transept & 5 sisters windows.

Back to the south front – rose window etc. to the Great East Window, St. William’s College (and I did mention the Vicars Choral and their own place in the Bedern, while pointing out the temptation to which the townie chantry priests were exposed before being shunted into St. William’s College – thank you Mike)

Then past the Chapter House to Gray’s Court courtyard, where I finished with a ghost story and the suggestion that if George VI could claim that the history of York was the history of England, then perhaps I could claim that the history of Gray’s Court/ Treasurer’s House was the history of York – a neat two hours.

I suggested that the highlights we were missing, were well worth a visit; viz the wall walk from Bootham to Monkbar (clearly visible from Gray’s Court courtyard) Holy Trinity Goodramgate and The Shambles. (All in the group had already visited the Shambles – and incidentally while purchasing dark rum truffles – our regular chocolate fix at home – in Hotel Chocolat afterward, was told by the girl serving that she was pleased the huge numbers of the previous day had subsided and that her way home, normally through the Shambles was so packed yesterday that she had to take an alternative route!)

What a beautiful day to get into the saddle again – it was a most enjoyable experience!

Mick.Popka
      Participant

Thanks for that Ken,
      I did a “Dry Run” on Tuesday and took the route down the left hand side of St Leonards to include the small piece of roman wall.
      At the East End of the minster I walked down Chapter House Street into Ogleforth and then to the base of Monk Bar,
      Then back up Goodramgate and past George Hudson’s shop to St Williams College.
      I think that was about 2 hours, along the way I “collected” a couple of visitors who were happy to walk along and hear the tales….

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.